Japanese Fried Rice

My version of Trader Joe's Japanese Style Fried Rice
Have you ever had the Japanese Fried Rice from Trader Joe's?
I don't know where this has been all my life but I had it for the first time the other night.
I thought I died and went to fried rice heaven.
All the kids loved it too, as well as the vegan mandarin chicken (another trip to heaven) They loved it so much I made the trek back to Trader Joe's the next day to stock pile emergency fast vegan foods for those nights when cooking from scratch just isn't going to happen. Those are usually pancake night at our house. Now we have options and who doesn't love options!
At three dollars a bag it's a pretty good deal as far as fast easy healthy yummy food goes.
But there are six of us to feed and one bag serves three and a half. And a certain someone in my house tends to eat twice as much as the rest of us (you know who you are) 
Of course I started wondering if I couldn't make my own version.
Soooo I did!
And it's ah-mazing!
*note* the Trader Joe's version has deep fried tofu which I will be adding next time, but this was literally thrown together in five minutes with ingredients I had at the ready.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (cooked in veggie broth)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup cooked, shelled edamame
1/2 cup shredded carrots (I threw mine in the food processor)
1 sheet Nori toasted seaweed, shredded
1 tablespoon veggie oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)
Directions:
Heat oils in a large skillet
Add brown rice, peas, edamame, shredded carrots, and shredded seaweed into the skillet
Saute for about five minutes, stirring almost constantly
Add soy sauce to taste and cook a few minutes longer
Prepare to go to fried rice heaven!
Yup heaven!

Comments

Popular Posts