Brown rice and Chickpea Patties

 
This recipe came to me last night as I was trying to decide what to make for dinner. The older kids love the vegan boca burgers but lil' Isla says no way! That's fine by me, I'd rather step away from processed foods anyhow. It's crazy how easy it is to make veggie patties and the variations are endless. Last night's blend was brown rice, chickpeas, and carrots. Serve it with a side of steamed broccoli and yummy sweet potato, for baby. Dress it up on a bun with your favorite condiments for the rest of the fam!
 
Here's the recipe...
 
Ingredients:
 
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked brown rice (cooked in veggie broth)
1 small onion, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1/8 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
3 tablespoons water
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
 
Directions:
 
Mix the flax seed with the water and set aside 5 minutes
Saute the onions in olive oil until soft
Shred your carrots (I ran mine through the food processor)
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and mash, mash, mash
I used my immersion blender to do the mashing for me
Form into patties
Heat the olive oil in a skillet
Fry the patties until golden brown on both sides
(These would be great baked as well, try 375 for 15 minutes
turning once in between on a lightly oiled cookie sheet)
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts