Vegan Zucchini Sandwich Cookies

    Ever have one of those days? Not necessarily a bad day, just one of those days? It started off okay. I spent the morning, after scooting the kids off to school, determined to clean at least part of my house but little Isla had other plans. She's almost one now and very clingy. I don't mind, I've got an Ergo Baby Carrier and a Moby Wrap. She loves riding in either one. And I've got feet that double as hands so when I get tired of doing squats with an extra twenty pounds on me I use my feet to pick things up. But cleaning (even with my amazing feet) does go a little bit slower with a baby attached. Nevertheless, my house did get clean.

       Actually my day started off better than okay because my amazing husband decided to bust out the shelving I'd been asking him to build in two of our bathrooms! I love when he gets inspired. Things get done. I've got the vision and he's got the know how, together we make a great team.

       The first half of my day went well. Clean house, new shelves, satisfied baby. Then it took a turn. My 10 year old daughter, Sophia, and her friend needed a project finished for school... a lunch box alarm. It seemed so easy in my head. I picked up an alarm at Radio Shack (a ridiculously loud alarm for $5.95. I'm talking car alarm in the big city loud) and the girls and I went to work. We read a few directions online but they were very vague about how to fasten the alarm trigger. The lunch box alarm became the most maddening project I have ever encountered. I had thought I could bust out a batch of vegan cookies before realizing lunch box alarms are serious business. Tired baby, 4 big kids (who decided to make pancakes-good thing too, that was their dinner), cookies half made and a lunch box alarm in the works. A really loud-nerve-wracking-every-time-it-went-off-when-someone (me) triggered-it-alarm. My clean house turned into an alarm building, pancake making, cookie baking, baby waking circus.

    You know~one of those days.

    On a positive note, the lunch box alarm was ultimately a success and I'll post a tutorial on how we made it so if you ever have this unfortunate project come your way you'll know just what to do.

    On another positive note I actually finished the cookies
       (only about 4 hours after I started them) and they were AMAZING!
    I found the recipe over here at Speed Bump Kitchen although I did tweak it a tiny bit.
     

 
 Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons water
 1 cup flour
 (try mixing it up,
 I used 1/4 cup spelt and 1/4 cup barley,
 and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup shredded zucchini
 
Frosting:
4 ounces Tofutti Cream Cheese.
1/4 cup dairy-free margarine or shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
Add vanilla and water, beat again.
In another bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, soda, powder, salt together.
Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
Add the oats and zucchini, mix well.
Drop tablespoon sized balls onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Allow to cool completely before filling with frosting.
Make the frosting by beating the margarine and cream cheese together until smooth, add the powdered sugar and vanilla, beat again until fluffy and smooth.

Comments

Popular Posts